Saturday 11 March 2017

Activity 7:Crossing the Boundaries Discussions


Mindmap



In my role as a Resource Teacher Vision (RTV) my professional life is full of interdisciplinary collaboration as defined by Andrews (1990). He says occurrences of interdisciplinary collaboration happen "when different professionals possessing unique knowledge, skills, organisational perspectives, and personal attributes engage in coordinated problem solving for a common purpose." (cited in Berg-Weger & Schneider, 1998)

As an RTV the common purpose involves the learner who is blind, low vision or deaf/blind and the partnerships entered to enhance deeper learning and achievement for that learner. We take an holistic approach to goal setting. Jones (2009) suggests that this approach will help develop higher order thinking skills and be more creative.

Mulligan and Cuban (2015) identified three elements required for successful interdisciplinary collaborations to happen and this model has aided me in identifying areas for personal growth and improvement when considering my place in the secondary school team as an itinerant.

Common Goals 
There needs to be ownership by all stakeholders. This is seen in the Individual Education Plan (IEP) process which I lead or for which I am part of. 

Such IEPs in a secondary school are attended and/or lead by the SENCO who represents the teacher voice. Often there appears to be consensus at the meetings and SMART goals are established but it is what happens next where things can drift. 

As the subject teachers have not been directly involved in the process they may not buy in to the established goals. It can, and more likely does, happen that subject knowledge and NCEA assessment outweighs any other holistic and deeper learning goals when student successes are discussed.

Quality and Attitudes
When there are common emotional qualities, a collaborative relationship can remain collegial and productive (Mulligan et-al, 2015). At an IEP meeting all stakeholders are invited. The low vision learner is key in this process and often, but not always, has been involved since a young age. This, when all goes well, works to empower and gives student voice when at times they may feel unheard in class.
Barriers can start to appear at secondary level when classes become less collaborative and more subject based. Many more teachers are now involved and transparent communications can be challenging to maintain. I also need to clearly establish my presence.

Work Place and Conditions 
Even if we have the other two elements working, work place and conditions may impact on the success of the IEP. For example, most secondary schools I have worked in have very set plans of curriculum learning and what achievement looks like. This becomes even more evident in NCEA years where there appears little flexibility. IEP goals, regardless of deeper learning needs end up revolving around subjects and credits. Interdisciplinary connections can appear non existent at these times as interdepartmental collaborations are minimal.

An example is when I was in a school and had been speaking with a student in regards to the problems she was having in level 3 health on the topic of abortion. Later, in the same school, when supporting another student in philosophy I noted theme connections. Immediately I imagined if only these teachers had spoken to each other what a rich, cross department, deep learning experience could have been achieved for all.... but alas this had not happened.   

Then at another school, there was the student who had achieved excellence in a math paper in NCEA level 2. I was surprised when he had to do the paper again the following year. 

Why? The student, after experiencing a significant vision loss during the previous year needed to repeat his level 2. When discussing the fact that the student had already achieved excellence in this particular paper I was informed... "this is what the class is doing..., he is in this class..., he does it..."

I do not blame the teachers for these mindsets, for this is how the schools worked. Conditions are placed at management level as NCEA credit achievement becomes the norm.... But I still ponder, just because it is so, should it be so?
And finish with a strong inspired student voice who says, "Now we are in a globalised society everything is integrated throughout the world and you can not learn about one subject by themselves." (Ross Institute, 2015)... perhaps as educators we need to listen.


References
ACRLog. (2015). A Conceptual Model for Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Retrieved from http://acrlog.org/2015/05/14/a-conceptual-model-for-interdisciplinary-collaboration

Berg-Weger, M., &. Schneider, F. D. (1998). Interdisciplinary collaboration in social work education. Journal of Social Work Education, 34, 97-107. 

Jones, C. (2009). Interdisciplinary approach: Advanatages and disadvantages, and the furure benefits of interdisciplinary studies. ESSA17 (26), 76-81. retrieved from

Ross Spiral Curriculum: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZhkB0FJik

10 comments:

  1. I disagree, and if I were the student I would totally blame the teachers. How can this be alright? I think it is outrageous and totally beyond acceptable, that a student was repeating a paper where Excellence had already been achieved. Surely there was something else that child could have been doing? Even 'googling'? The teacher and school should be ashamed!
    You raise some valid points about 'buy-in' Janet from teachers who are not part of the IEP process. Is there a better way to get them involved? Can technology help? . We still have a long way to go to achieve the best for our students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately this can happen and did happen. The student just accepted what was. I was the only one who seemed to think that it was a problem at the time. You are right surely there was something else they could have done but the teacher did not have any other solution which was a variance to the plan. The class was large, space was limited and assessment was the key driver in this academic class.

      I am forward thinking and have over the course of my mindlab study been trying to adapt new ways into my practice. The blog word limit did not help me this week. This term I have been spending less time with direct support of my student and more time working in the background building positive relationships with teachers and giving PD knowing that in the long term this will count. Interdisciplinary collaboration is key when you have learners with needs. I have learnt that I can't be a lone warrior and when class teachers know you they are more likely to engage you when support is needed. I very much liked the model at the Ross academy and where Jennifer Chidsey spoke of teachers as learners and the need of planned PD. These teachers, across curriculum were working together to plan programmes and each had a relevance to the team and bring something to the table. My journey is just beginning.

      Delete
  2. I like the diagram. You have obviously spent a lot of time thinking about inter-connections between disciplines in school. The story of the student having to repeat a course sounds a bit odd. Surely he/she did not have to repeat the assignment? If a grade has already been earned it cannot be taken away from them. That is a legality. It seems the repeat was just for teacher convenience - keeping the class together as a unit and no taking into account individual learning pathways. A guess of course. There might have been another reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Brian when you say a matter of convenience and keeping the class together. The grade had not been taken from the student but the learning was repeated and the test re taken. The school had a year NCEA plan in math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops sent before finishing. Thanks for taking the time to comment Brian :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet
    It was interesting to read your blog as a resource vision teacher you write with a new perspective for me. I am a secondary teacher and often feel NCEA takes over, and when I ponder that question I also consider that I am held responsible for the students in my class achieving. It is a constant pressure and I admit sometimes things can fall along the wayside as much as you don't want them too. Until last year we only ever had junior IEP's, and now we also have senior IEP's and this has been a definite step forward in my school. It has enabled me to get support in my classes for those students in the form of teacher aide time. This has been hugely important for those students so they can get more consistent direct help, and it also takes some of the pressure off in terms of time and getting around all my students when I know they are being supported.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always felt for the plight of the high school teacher when it comes to NCEA and the achievement of credits. When in an ideal world we would like all to achieve but alas sometimes this is an ideal and students can and do fall through the cracks. It is great that you now have an IEP process the biggest challenge is to be able to achieve those goals. Are you for interdisciplinary collaboration between subjects or is it likely to water down your area. This has often been a concern when I have spoken to teachers. Thanks for commenting, each response makes me think deeper on how best to approach and support the secondary area. I am glad a TA has helped.

      Delete
  6. Hi Janet,
    As 3 of my 5 classes are NCEA focussed i.e they will be sitting external exams in November I agree little regard is given to the students we work in silos and report structures and functions operate in these silos. However the NCEA has the ability to be adaptable if we remove the subject focus. What I mean is that a student takes the option of physics they then have to sit all those standards for that subject. Far better I feel that teachers offer standards and the student make up their own course to suit they needs so they can dip in and out areas interest. This could lead to each student having a unique learning experience. However school structure and timetables would have to be radically changed to accommodate this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve, thanks for commenting. I think you are so right when you say NCEA could be adaptable with the removal of subject focus. Also right in saying it would mean a radical restructuring of school including; physical layout and how people work together in an interdisciplinary way.
    I have spoken to some teachers who say it would lead to watering down of their subject. I am inclined to think that it could mean the applying of learning to "doing" in an authentic life experience. What are your thoughts on this?

    For such to happen a commitment to structured PD would be essential, as well as vision in leadership. I was impressed by the Ross Academy with their scaffolded, spiral approach to learning with a commitment to teachers as learners. Their journey wasn't always evolving... of course I could imagine that they too have their tail end who also do not achieve to how we would imagine because not all would suit this approach. One size does not fit all and for a truly inclusive education still adaptations would be required for the individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Predictive text gets me again. It was meant to read - "was" always evolving, not "wasn't "

      Delete