Sunday 5 March 2017

Activity 6: Professional Online Social Networks

I’m not a prolific user of social media, in fact Mehuish (2013) would probably call me a “lurk”; that is someone who reads and uses the resources but doesn’t put themselves out there by commenting. The truth is I feel somewhat anxious and am unsure how my comments would be taken or if they are relevant. I fear offending someone

In my personal life I use facebook but rarely post. I prefer using messenger and communicating one on one or to small groups. I do SKYPE, respond to group emails, and have just signed up to whatsapp. I have an Instagram account as a follower; have attempted, but not got engaged yet with Twitter and am trying my best on the Mindlab G+ group. I confess with the last two I am out of my comfort zone writing and sharing. Mehuish (2013) is correct, I am a “Lurk”. Thankfully Arnold & Paulus (2010) argue that this is still a legitimate way of learning. I however do get that this approach doesn’t do much to build online community.

In my professional life as an RTV I am trying to get more connected with social media in a collaborative manner. I get inspired when I hear things like: “surround yourself with passionate educators” and “the most impactful thing that you can do in your profession is get connected.” (Connected Educators, 2013). But what does this currently look like for me?

Our schools national online development space has faded over time. Email and phone continues to be the preferred manner of communication amongst colleagues. This is not to say that individuals aren’t well connected, I’m just not one of them. I have pondered why the online site is not being used much. According to Sharples et al, (2016) the facilitator is key to ensuring people engage and are kept engaged. In the early days of the site this was so.  I would also add that there needs to be ease of access and relevance to your daily practice. I wonder whether it is time for our network to have a makeover with a new injection of "X factor" starting by asking the question: What do we want?

In School use.
Kathy Cassidy (2013) talks of the connected world in school needing to reflect what is happening out of school. Children of today have grown up with internet and are surrounded by devices. Through my practice I am guided by what is happening in schools and what support is needed by learner, whanau and teacher. As yet I have not seen much use of social media but feel it is “brimming” as talk is happening regularly and I read through the G+ community that this is in fact happening.

I first came across the use of facebook as a tool for learning in a high school in 2014. Although there was Educational purpose and learner uptake the student I worked with could not participate at this time due to his low vision. Things have changed since then with this platform becoming more accessible and equitable… but then, I now go into other schools and Facebook is blocked.


Currently I work with a learner doing distance lessons weekly. We use SKYPE, Google Docs, TeamViewer. I feel we are only at the very beginning of connectivity and would like to explore other ways of expanding this learners connected world for learning as he is in a rural school. I have also used SKYPE for connecting other learners in different schools.

The schools I visit are on many different platforms and social media use is evolving. Working with Low vision learners can have its challenges when using social media. I need to be aware of what is being used so as to aid access if/when required as sites are not always inclusive to all learners. All things being equal though social media can be a great tool for learners who are blind and low vision to collaborate as it can level the playing field in ways that they may have previously been excluded from. I agree with comments made by Sharples et al, (2016) stating that social media can bring learning to life. These sites can support creativity, collaboration, communication and sharing of resources.

Assumptions however can be made around the use of social media. It has been assumed that all students have a level of knowledge that has them “doing” and “knowing” how to, however the reality can be quite different. Careful scaffolding of skills are required.

References

Melhuish,K. (2013) Online social networking and its impact on New Zealand educators' professional learning. p36-44,Ch. 3. The University of Waikato. Retrieved 05/05/2015 from

Office of Ed Tech. (2013, Sep 18). Connected Educators. [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=216&v=K4Vd4JP_DB8T

Sharples, M., de Roock , R., Ferguson, R., Gaved, M., Herodotou, C., Koh, E., Kukulska-Hulme, A., Looi,C-K, McAndrew, P., Rienties, B., Weller, M., Wong, L. H. (2016). Innovating Pedagogy 2016: Open University Innovation Report 5. Milton Keynes: The Open University. Retrieved from http://proxima.iet.open.ac.uk/public/innovating_pedagogy_2016.pdf

voparents. (2013, May 21). Kathy Cassidy. Using Social Media in the Classroom.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZStaz8Rno







6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, Janet. It is also true for us that our online school community only works if people are engaged and actively using it. While our online system Yammer is used by some, it is not used by most, so the uptake by students is limited, as teachers are not using it to its full advantage. It is probably similar to you, they are out of their comfort zone writing and sharing online. The challenge for us is to promote its use to teachers.. we have the students signed up, but without a purpose, they will soon get bored and stop looking to it for info/notices.
    You seem to be connected in many ways to an online community - there is no hard and fast rule as to which one is 'right' to use. I think it is important to use the ones that are useful to you. Similar to all the strategies and things we have learned in Mindlab along the way, one size does not fit all, and to be effective, you should be selective in your choices for your situation. Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks for commenting on my blog. This is attempt 3 for me to respond. Both previous times I have lost my comment... but I am persevering because I value that you took time to comment.
      After now being through the process as a Mindlab student and teacher I have become very much of the opininion that too many assumptions are made. Ultimately if a social media site to help people is not being used the way the creators intended then we need to ask why. It could be that it isn't holding much relevance, or is it a time factor? Or maybe some just don't know how to use the site and need extra support to get up and running? In its first months uptake of a new site it may thrive but then after a while it loses its novelty. Swallow (2015) even talks about a second year decline when in a tech based class. This same principle could be applied to social media use. Collect the data, Imagine if it was because people had forgotten how to use it or that it was too hard to use. Things that could be easily fixed.
      Yes,I am connected in may ways. I guess my need was to stay in contact with family and friends or to create blogs for assignments. Whilst I see relevance then I will continue. The big thing that I am learning though is that there is a lot of social media out there and we must be selective in what we connect with as it could overtake our world. Have a watch of Simon Sinek (2016) https;//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MC2X-LRbkE Millenials in the workplace. It's a good watch

      Delete
  2. Thanks for you post, it was an enjoyable read. I too work with student with difficulties, in my case Dyslexia. I couldn't work as effectively without many on the online tools available to help these students and their learning. I like you was wary in the beginning about having an online presence. However, when you see the benefits of all the resources both people and practical, you soon overcome this feeling of "lurking". Wanting not to offend is a hard one as when we are talking face to face people are able to read our body language and see what we are really meaning. Whereas, online something innocent can be misunderstood very easily. I find myself rewriting many a comment or post as I tend to read too much into how it could be misinterpreted. Coming to grips with things such as Skype, Facebook and twitter are a good start. I do believe that as teachers we must teach our student the best ways to use these tools. Often, when I have worked in schools that lock everything down so students can't access them, it is simply because the students have abused the privilege of use but when you dig down, they have not always been given clear guidelines as to what is appropriate an not. We need to make sure that we are role modeling this for our students at every opportunity. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to comment Keren. I am so glad that you did and have seen the benefits first hand on how technology can help students who are having difficulties. I am still working on my online presence and like you read my posts so many times before pressing that button. Teaching how to use the tools I think is a good start... and by that I dont just mean the physical tools. I know there are a lot of assumptions that students just pick it up but I think the discussions on how and what to post are very relevant
    As for abuse of privilege I think there will always be those few. Is locking down the site the best option though? Umm, maybe that Facebook is just in the too hard basket for many schools. It becomes an addiction. Have a watch of Senic, (2016) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MC2X-LRbkE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet
    I can relate to being a lurk - moving from that to the next level engaging with twitter and beginning to post more frequently thru other options. Creating an online community for me hasnt been a priority its more about keeping myself in tune. It is about facing and challenging our own beliefs. What I came to realise very quickly was that it was not longer how I felt it was about keeping up - I work in a PLG group of DPs and Principals and for me this gives a face to face opportunity to discuss what we are finding and learning from online forums - so it is for me a balance. I know in our school we start with gusto but maintaining is sometimes difficult for many reasons. As with all learning we have to keep changing and moving to forward to excite and energize peple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting Ro. I think you are right when you say it is about keeping up. I am discovering so much information. I love that you then come together face to face to discuss new learnings. This is about finding the balance. I think for me I will endeavor to do this more to deepen my learning. Osterman and Kottcamp (1993) spoke of the deeper learning that happens when you collaborate and I must say I am a firm believer in this approach. I have really valued all the comments which I have received blogging and your last one has resonated with me. Time to stop lurking and discovering a balance... I guess it is known as blended learning :).

    ReplyDelete