Friday 17 March 2017

Activity 8: Changes in my Practice

http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf
Wow, I cannot believe that I am coming to the end of my 32 week Mindlab journey. It has been a journey which has taken me to the edge of my learning; at times terrifying as I worked through the research to realise ways in which I could apply to my practice.


I enjoyed the first 16 weeks of face to face presentations but went on to feel somewhat isolated in the next 16 weeks as we went online. In saying this I also believe my deepest learning has occurred in the last 8 weeks when sharing with others and reading a variety of blogs which have made me look at differing perspectives. Osterman & Kottkamp (1993) explain this by saying reflective practice is challenging, demanding and often a trying process that is most successful as a collaborative effort. I have found this to be true for me and now better understand how I work as a reflective learner.

My assumptions as an RTV have been challenged, and in many instances affirmed by research. Over time I have been challenged on topics that I had never really thought about before. By digging deep into the literature and the BLENNZ Expanded Core Curriculum (BECC) which is aligned to the New Zealand Core Curriculum I have found that I have a deeper understanding of ITL 21 Century learning skills required when working with blind, low vision and deaf/blind (BLV) akonga, I just hadn’t made or thought of the connection before when looking at e-learning. This goes well beyond using a device to replace pen and paper which we so often assess use on. I am a SAMR fan.

It has been hard for me to choose just 2 criteria as the biggest growth areas. All criteria have been scrutinised and intertwined along this journey. This I believe is how it is supposed to be, one does not sit alone.

Criteria 4: Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of personal professional practice

32 weeks of solid reading, research, planning and conceptualising is commitment. Not to mention the new online programmes I have learnt to use along the way. Mindlab study is something which I chose to do to enhance my practice in digital and collaborative learning for the purpose of supporting the learners which I have who are BLV and in doing so I have promoted an awareness of these learners.

I have gone on to participate and contribute my learning with colleagues. Some times through the passing of knowledge but I am hoping the deeper learning is happening when they join in with our learners at iPad club. 

Criteria 12: Use Critical inquiry and problem-solving effectively in their professional practice.

1) Sytematically and critically engage with evidence and professional literature to reflect on and refine practice.
I had always thought of myself as a problem-solver and it was easy to see problems in class pertaining to my learners. I would reflect on issues to find solutions but rarely used reflective practice to look at me and how I worked within each school environment. By engaging with evidence and professional literature I have looked at my pedagogical approach so as to empower those I work with rather than being seen as the provider of information.

      http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf

2) Respond professionally to feedback from members of their learning community.
Using a blog has been a new learning for me. I have learnt a lot from reading other peoples and from comments made on mine. This feedback has increased my own reflection and lead to deeper learning.

3) Critically examine their own beliefs, including cultural beliefs and how they impact on their professional practice and achievement of akonga

      http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf
The last reading on reflective v traditional professional development has really resonated with me and I believe is relevant to all learners. On the one hand my learning has been deepest when I can apply it to practice, on the other hand there are many priority akonga in classes taking subjects that have little relevance to them and we continue to wonder why they are not achieving.

      http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf
Where to from here?
It is time to relax a bit and put into practice what has been learnt. I am hoping that when I go into schools I can continue to make positive connections and offer needed support in digital and collaborative learning when working with akonga who have low vision. My aim has been to improve connections with high school teachers... so far going well.

I am also looking at the continual growth of the iPad initiative which has grown from one group to 3 groups this year utilising peer mentors.

References

Ministry of Education (nd). Practising tecaher criteria and e-learning. https://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/

Osterman, K & Kottkamp, R (1993). Reflective Practice for Educators.California : Cornwin Press,Inc.
http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf


4 comments:

  1. Hi Janet. I just wrote a lengthy reply and my computer ran out of battery and died - so I lost it!! Again, Congratulations on coming to the end of your journey with Mindlab. Like you I have thoroughly enjoyed the learning over the last 32 weeks and indeed it taken me to the edge of my learning, has challenged me and at time I have had to remind myself of why I chose to start this in the first place. But here we are and what an achievement!
    Through the evidence based research, collaborative discussions, readings and investigations over the past 32 weeks I am confident in myself as teacher who can transform her teaching and learning environment and have already taken some steps to put into practice what I have learnt. The response from the students has been positive and I can see they are more engaged. I will be continuing my blog to record my journey with this and want to collect some data to see the difference being more collaborative and digital in the classroom is making for me and my students. Through positive changes in these directions we should be able to break down the structural barriers that exist in school which hinder student engagement and achievement. I will continue to push for double periods in my Food Technology classes and want to open my door to students who I don't even teach so that if they have an interest in my subject, they can still gain some learning from it - the vision is there, the logistics are not - yet!
    Osterman and Kottkamp quotes about the most powerful learning occurring through collaboration struck me too. There is not enough of this done among teachers - especially for me working in a secondary school. We always collaborate with our direct colleagues within our own areas but wouldn't it be fantastic if there was some real PD / TOD days offered to enable teachers to work collaboratively across each others disciplines to redesign the way educational opportunities are offered and taught and by whom. Everyone is considered an expert in their own area - instead of look at that in isolation, we should be joining forces and working in interdisciplinary ways. I know time and commitment are two key factors here, but you need to start somewhere right!
    I too have enjoyed the blogging and reading the comments from others. Sometimes my thoughts have been challenged so through reflection and further thought I have responded with more ideas and a different perspective which has enhanced my learning. So valuable and is the reason I now am introducing blogging to my students.
    So, here we are. Yes time to relax and take in all that we have learned over this course. It is something that I am recommending to others and am looking forward to what the future holds. All the best with continuing on with your learning journey within your practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma. I think you have just hit it on the head, we as teachers often quote time as the barrier but I am also starting to question this.... somehow we have found the time to explore 21 Century skills through mindlab.... are we sure time is the issue or is it school conditions and structure? Comfort with what is? Fear of the new?.... but actually Piaget and Dewey's theory of deeper learning coming from learner personal experience is not new, it is old. We also all know that learners do best when they are engaged with the learning. I wonder whether schools are more structured the way they are not due to learning but more to do with management. I am looking forward to seeing how the new learning environments in some Christchurch secondary schools develop especially in the purpose built schools.... exciting times ahead but I do know that in the meantime most secondary schools I go into will still be working in isolated subject areas with little interdisciplinary collaboration as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet. I have enjoyed reading your blog, and find much of what you say resonates with me. In particular your response to Emma's comment above. I often blame lack of time for not getting done what I want to, yet we all do make time for things we have to do or are passionate about. We have all managed somehow, to fit in the readings, reflection time and assignments required by the Mindlab course. It will be nice now to use that time to put more of what we have learnt into practice. As part of a school moving into a new learning environment, this is a perfect time to practise what we have been preaching. When there are initiatives I really want to try, I am no longer going to use lack of time as an excuse! I might even have more courage to skim over the box-ticking tasks that are required of us, and do little, or nothing, to improve the engagement of our learners.
    And I hear your challenge to secondary schools. We are currently working towards collaborating and using an interdisciplinary approach with the juniors. Our next big hurdle is to take it into the senior school to make learning more meaningful and relevant for them.
    All the best for your next steps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion, I am just cursing technology I had just written a great long reply only to have it disappear rather than publish!
      I am really excited for you and your school as you prepare for your modern learning environment. I am sure you would have been inspired by the Ross academy video which portrayed a science integrated program. Interdisciplinary collaborations were very evident throughout. I loved how the young people were speaking passionately about their learning. You could see how learning came out of real life experience. Most importantly though was the opportunity for teachers to become Learners with 150 hours of PD a year. This PD also appeared authentic and real. If New Zealand is serious about changing the look of classroom and learning in high schools then I believe teachers need to be given time to adapt and plan. Anyway good luck Marion, I'm sure that you are going to be a major team leader in this initiative in your school and will have fun exploring the opportunities.

      Also I will always remain thankful for our interdisciplinary collaboration we did for our literature review. I really valued the opportunity to work with others who have differing perspectives. At the time I wasn't thinking of it as interdisciplinary but I guess it really was as we came from quite different perspectives.

      Delete